Monday, February 14, 2011

The kids like to fix stuff with Grandpa

So, about 2 weeks ago we noticed our bathroom sink wasn't draining.  In fact, when we used one of the sinks it would start to fill up and then the other sink would fill up leaving us with two watery sinks.

John and Grandpa both looked at this but neither one could figure it out.  It seemed there was something blocking the pipe.  I thought it might be a cap from something, Katie thought it was a tiny shoe Jake "must have" put down the drain.  (I wasn't ready to lay the blame on Jake too quickly though.  I think that Katie thinks he's a good scapegoat because he doesn't really talk much and isn't able to defend his honor.  Soooo, I take Katie's finger pointing with a grain of salt.  A big one, the size of a salt lick.)

After mulling it over, Grandpa decided he needed to get to the pipe and hopefully the source of the problem.

Through a hole in Jake's bedroom wall.

Grandpa cut a hole in the wall (gasp!), daddy fixed the pipe (whew!), then it was time to patch things up (yay!).

 Katie helped on day 1... Jake held his toothbrushes.

Jacob got more into the process on day 2 (of course, he had just had a bath so he ended up with the mud in his hair and caked on his hands... but he had such fun using the tools and "helping"!) 

This is a "before" picture.  What you didn't get to see is the mud Grandpa put on the wall for him to work with.  I couldn't watch.  I have a big aversion to messes that I can't immediately clean up and this had the makings of a BIG mess.  But the kids had a ton of fun working with Grandpa.  (Jake was not a ton of fun once it came time to clean him up.  He did not want to let go of the tools of the trade.)


In other news, Katie went to cubbies (she's wearing pink pants with hearts to match her pink shirt with hearts... and her red dressy coat she got with her Christmas dress... two years ago.  Her cubbies vest completed the ensamble.  And her winter coat, that I didn't think would go over this, fit fine.


While she was at cubbies, we (me and Jake) went to Bakers Square with Grandma.  Jake ate fries and french toast.  Happy camper.  AND we each got a slice of free pie.  YUM.  Jake gave mommy his slice of pie.  He didn't tell me to eat it in so many words, but I know he would have wanted me to have it.  He's sweet like that.


That was last week.  I'm happy to report that the bathroom sink has stayed fixed and nothing else has broken, and I would like to say that we've been drama free ever since... but I can't. 

See, there was a tiny bottle of purple nailpolish... and a sweet almost-5-year-old girl... but that's another post.

No comments: