Thursday, March 4, 2010

Katie wants to live under the...

Katie was about to come upstairs last night after a fun time at Grandma and Grandpas.

Her toys were all set on the bottom two steps (yes, she has that many toys that MUST come downstairs with her or her whole life will be ruined) when she told us that she was going to live there.

Not "there" as in *at* Grandma and Grandpas (she wanted to do that a couple of weeks ago), no, she decided that she was going to live on the basement stairs. She was ready to sleep there and as she waved her arms to the blank space behind her she said that her kids were here and she needed to stay with her kids to keep an eye on them.

I thought that sounded like a good idea (figuring she would come upstairs when she got bored or tired or thirsty or hit puberty) so I let her stay there.

Till I heard a door shut and realized she was visiting Grandpa when he was trying to wind down for the night. So I went and got her to come up and I took her toys up. She had a bit of a fit. She was not happy and EVERYONE was going to hear it. She really knows the "n" word (that's "no" in case you were wondering) and she's not afraid to use it.

She kept yelling that she wanted to "live on the STAIRS, not here. I am MAD. No! No! NO!" Rinse, repeat, for about 5 minutes. Oh, and I made the mistake of letting her see me laugh. I tried to hold it in but just could. not. hold. it. any. longer! So I tried to hide my face behind my magazine. Didn't help... she's pretty perceptive. Then I heard "Stop laughing AT ME!" at least 5 times. Which made me laugh again. Arg.

I'm surprised that Jake didn't wake up to this but he was in dream land.

Finally she looked at me and with all of her anger she said "you a... (and I held my breath hoping not to hear something that would require a time out... or a bar of soap*)... you a NAUGHTY GIRL" and she added a "hmpfh" which is her way of putting an end to discussion on the topic. (Kind of like "I no do that. Hmpfh" after which she crosses her arms and turns her head away in a semi hair toss.)

I let out my breath and thanked God, Dora, Diego, and Caillou that it wan't something much worse. And then we snuggled on the chair and played I spy. And she was happy again.

* Just kidding. I would never, ever, ever wash her mouth out with soap. I might talk to her about using kind words to the point she would prefer the soap, but we go through soap pretty quickly already and I don't have a re-stocking trip to Costco planned for a couple of weeks. Plus, that stuff's expensive! Just kidding.**

** No, really. I'm just kidding. We do have plenty of soap in the bathroom closet.

No comments: