Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Farm livin' is the life for me!

I've started my own farm. It's a small plot of land but it suits me just fine. I've planted eggplant, squash, and wheat, and I have three trees growing.

Okay, you probably guessed that I'm not actually out there tilling the soil, toiling away in the hot sun wearing a wide brimmed hat and coordinating gardening gloves. I'm in the house and my garden is just a few clicks away on... gulp... Facebook.

I still don't know how I got started. John showed it to me and I thought it might be kind of fun. So I set up my "person" and planted a few seeds. My crop of strawberries (harvest in 4 hours) withered but I caught the eggplant (harvest in 2 days) in time. I started with the small stuff. A plot of strawberries here, a plot of eggplant there. Pretty soon it was soybeans and now I'm into the heavy stuff... squash. Low point? I was explaining to a friend how she could "plant her strawberries in the morning and then she would be able to harvest them during her lunch break." And it actually didn't sound crazy while I was saying it. Only when I thought about it just now. And typed it out. And re-read it.

Oh, boy. How did I get here? Why did I start?! I may have become slightly too interested in growing vegetables I can't eat, can't sell (for any real money) and can't actually touch. But there's something kind of peaceful... maybe even zen-like... about taking a few minutes to see how my crops are doing. That's it. I don't have to pour blood, sweat, and tears into this. I don't have to worry about paying bills on the land. And I don't have to think much in advance... only 4 days for wheat, 2 for eggplant, 4 hours for strawberries.

Hopefully the time goes fast. I only have 6 coins left and I want to harvest so I can add some funding. I want to buy a cow or some chickens... but I would settle for a few more plots of wheat.

No comments: