Saturday, July 17, 2010

Disappointment Served With a Side of Snot

Soooo, why am I disappointed?

This weekend I was supposed to go to the lake with the kids.  It's the town celebration and I was looking forward to going to the craft fair and shopping and just having fun.  The kids are at an age where they're great to take to stuff like this (and once I find one of those kid leashes, Jake's wandering ways will worry me less) and I don't know if I have more fun at the event or just watching as they experience the event!  

Probably watching them.


But Friday afternoon at work I got a voice mail from John saying that the kids were sick.  I asked how they were feeling and he said that Katie actually *admitted* that she wasn't feeling good.  This is not normal for her.  Usually she'll exclaim over and over that "I not sick!" while her nose is all stuffy and her voice sounds scratchy.  "She's got a runny nose and she's hot," he told me.  He also said that he felt her forehead to see if she was warm and Katie told him that it wasn't her head that was hot, it was her neck.  

So I decided to wait till I got home so I could see for myself how they were doing.  After a quick stop at Target for popsicles and bread.  And, well, Target also happens to have other stuff that magically ended up in my cart!  Totally necessary stuff like the 30-Day Shred video (so mine could go back to the library before fines bankrupt us), a bottle of shower gel (I had a coupon), grapes, apples, steak, potato (yum, yum, yum, and yum) and I think that's it.  Oh, and the popsicles and bread I had gone in for.

I got home and saw the kids and decided we would not be going up north to spend lots of time outside in the extra hot heat.  Runny/stuffy noses, glazed eyes, irritability.  All things that would make this weekend less than fun.  Also?  When I told her to get her jammies, she picked out winter jammies because she was cold.  Meanwhile, I'm sitting there sweating from the heat.  So, yep. Sick.  That ruled out the lake.  And the fun we were going to have.

Not that we aren't having an awesome time here.  At home.  We already ate breakfast, picked up toys, and the kids are having a nap (I know... what!?!?  Katie NEVER naps.  I guess getting up at 5 a.m. can be a little tiring.  I wouldn't know.  I bribed her with her shows and unlimited popsicles for a couple of hours more sleep for mommy.  And it worked.  I love 4 years old).

So, I hear Jake talking to himself in his crib now.  Strange... he's yelling "Ow, ow, ow" so I better get him.  I think it's time to wake Katie up too... we've got to keep up this 8:30 p.m. bedtime I've been enforcing!

Oh...

On another note... I just realized that my dryer sheets come in packs of 276.  I've got three packs.  I could do a load of laundry a day and not need to buy dryer sheets for 2 years.  I don't know how I ended up with so many...  

Oh wait.  I remember now.

Costco.  The same place that sells enough chocolate chips in a bag to make 500 cookies.

Thanks Costco.

No comments: