Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Oh, the places we've been... Part 2 (otherwise titled "Yes! We were *that* busy!"

So here it is... Part 2.  Normally I would just put everything into one post and call it a day but that would have been too much, even for me!

So, without further ado!

Wednesday was Katie's first pre-school field trip.  I'll post about that soon (like in the next week... unless something comes up and I get too busy and I normally wouldn't say that because usually?  I hear crickets when I start to talk about our social lives but this week was actually VERY busy and I didn't really get to do much else but keep my head above water in a very fun, splashy, water-up-the-nose kind of way).  So, um, yes.  Soon

In the meantime, here's a picture of the big girl... (oh, something was funny with the camera resolution so it's a little blurry):
Wednesday evening was the city carnival.  We (me, the kids, Grandpa and Grandma, Grammy and Grampy) had fun watching the kids.  The ride tickets were $1 each and I bought 3 for Katie.  Even that was hard.  I'm all about avoiding germs and I could just imagine them all over the surface of EVERY ride.

But I decided *long sigh* that I would let go of the germ thing for the evening.  Because if I hadn't, the kids would have been wearing gloves fashioned out of the wipies in Jake's diaper bag.  I probably could have unravelled a string from my pants hem and used a pine needle to stitch them up. 

But, like I said, I was letting go of the whole, "icky germs can make you sick" theme for the night. 

And I'm glad I did.  The kids loved it.  

Jake wanted to run wildly from one stand to the next and had more than one fall after tripping over the huge cables meander sedately to all of the stands and didn't want anyone to hold his hand.  Katie wanted to go on the rides but when she got close to one, she wanted to back off.  But after her first ride (big bears you can sit in and spin... I went on this with her and it was FUN! I remember the teacups of my youth and these bears were the same ride, only... bears, and not teacups) she was ready to climb aboard the other stuff. 

Now remember how we only had 3 tickets?  Well, because Grandma (yes, you mom!) is a big softie, both kids had enough tickets to ride pretty much all of the rides they wanted to go on. 

Oh, and Grampy shared a bag of hot mini-donuts.  Do I even need to say "Yum"?  Because I think that's pretty much implied when someone says "hot mini-donuts".  My mouth is watering as I type this late in the day.  And I just did the 30 Day Shred workout.  But still.  Yum.
Finally it was time to go home.  The kids did really well on the way out.  No crying because they wanted another ride, no longing glances at the mini-donut stand (um, that one's for me.  Yay me!), and generally just a happy mood.

Oh, on the way out, Katie climbed onto a tall ledge and Jake saw that and of course thought it looked like the funnest thing EVER so he climbed onto a bench and from there, onto the same ledge.  I was trying to keep up with him so he wouldn't plummet the 4 feet to the hard cement ground helping him, so that was fine... except he was walking away from the parking lot and back toward the carnival.  Not good.  He wasn't happy to be "redirected" and ended up getting a little feisty.

Thursday was the city parade.  Grammy and Grampy, Grandma and Grandpa came over for dinner.  We had hot dogs and beans and the most delicious dessert ever.  Rhubarb crunch.  (And I had to wait till AFTER the parade to eat it... but it was worth the wait.)

Walked over to the parade and settled in. 

The kids were great!

I expected that Katie would be fine and have fun watching everything.  And she was... after eating about 10 pieces of candy.  I slowed her down after that because I didn't know what the sugar would do to her!  This is pretty much the only time (aside from Easter and Halloween) that she gets candy in bulk.  Otherwise I store it in the cupboard and end up tossing it when I find it the next year in the same place I was planning to stash the *new* bag of candy.

Jake did pay attention to the bands and the candy and the floats and, well, pretty much everything else about the parade!  But after that first hour, he started loosing interest and started to run around.  We were sitting at the end of a driveway and knew the people.  So the fact that Jake did a lot of running (into their yard, up their front steps, up to them to pet their dog) was kind of okay.  Funny to see my dad running after him.  But you didn't hear that from me.



Oh, a highlight for Jake: He had his first sucker at the parade... he loved it (but that's pretty much a given) and it was very messy.  But it did keep him still for a bit while Grandma held him.

Friday was packing day for a weekend at the lake!

So, yes, a very busy week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must not have realized it but Grammy and Grampy bought there share of ride tickets for the kids too. Grammy even got to ride the merry go round with Katie while you were away for a bit. I'm glad they only charged for the kids even though I enjoyed the rides we took with them too. Mom

One Mom said...

I didn't know that! Thanks to Grammy and Grampy too! The kids had a blast with you all!