Friday, October 16, 2009

Kids are sick. Nuff said. Maybe I'll end this post here.

Or not... because I'm sure everyone is just dying to know what's going on in the Tiessen household and why it's been so long since I've posted anything...

So, Katie and Jake are sick. We thought it was just a cold and it would pass quickly but it didn't. In fact, Katie got worse with a cough and actual runny nose! Before that she had a stuffy nose and when I asked her if she was sick, she said "I dot sick baba." Hmmm. I had to silently disagree.

So now, Katie and Jake have runny noses and coughs.

We went to urgent care on Tuesday night and once I mentioned that both kids had coughs, the receptionist next to my receptionist piped in and told her to give me there... these turned out to be facemasks. For a 3 year old and an 8 month old. Really.

My receptionist looked at the nosy, er, I mean helpfull other receptionist and said "I don't think we're going to get a toddler and a baby to wear these things" in a totally doubtfull tone. Mrs. Kravitz, I mean, totally helpfull if delusional other receptionist said we just had to try.

Well, I was dealing with a million questions, our insurance information, a slow printer making me yet another sheet of labels when I don't think they have ever used more than two for any visits... so I gave the masks to John to see if he would have any luck attaching them to the kids' faces.

I don't think he even tried to get in on Jakes face (Jake was asleep in his carseat which is better than awake and trying to get down so he can crawl all over the germy floor) and when he asked Katie if she wanted to wear her mask, she said "No way." and that was that.

We finally got called and I was dreading Jake's visit... but he did the weigh in just fine. Katie, not so much. She cried and screamed like we were poking her with a bunch of needles... kind of like she does when Jake is about to touch one of her precious toys.

I ended up having to hold her and weighing us both then putting her down to weigh just me to come up with her weight. That wasn't fun for either of us and it sure wasn't fun to see my weight posted in 2" tall numbers on the scale screen. Ugh.

We got in the room and Jake let the nurse do everything she needed. He was doing well but Katie was not. She was crying and carrying on the whole time the nurse looked at Jake and the whole time she checked Katie.

When the doctor came in, she calmed down a bit. He talked to her and I think it helped. She let him listen to her breathing and check her ears and throat. It could have helped that he gave her two Diego stickers before he started.

Found out that Jake was fine (aside from his cold) and Katie has the beginnings of an ear infection.

Fun night.

No comments: