Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ear Infections are not fun


Katie started to complain that her head hurt at about 5:30 last night. She was saying owie, owie, owie and she cried and cried... and cried. Very loudly. It was so bad that we took her to urgent care (Grandma watched Jacob). On the way there she fell asleep in the car and when we got there and she woke up and realized where we were, she told me very firmly that she did not want to go to the doctor. She cried while I took her in and while we were in the waiting room - thank goodness we were the only ones there - but when we got into the room she was pretty calm. I was so proud of her. She did great! I couldn't believe it! The nurse listened to her pulse and then the doctor came in and looked in her ears (grimaced and said ooooh), listened to her breathing, and looked at her throat. She fussed a little at the end but it was a huge change from listening to her scream the ENTIRE time! She was awesome! We learned that she has ear infection in both ears and one of them (the left) was inflamed with puss and looked like it was about to burst. We left the clinic with two prescriptions and orders to come back in 2 weeks.

Her calm happy mood wasn't to last. When we got in the car she started to cry and kept crying the whole way home. And cried while we waited for daddy to bring her medicine - about 15 minutes at home. Finally we had the medicine and some ear drops to help with the pain. She fell asleep pretty early so I guess she felt better. At about 3:30 a.m. she woke up and called for me and wanted me to feed her from her sippy cup but she sounded better and was actually pretty cheery. Then she wanted medicine (she likes Tylenol way too much). So today she feels better, Jacob feels better, me and John aren't sick yet (fingers crossed) so we're hoping to be done with this soon!

I was bummed that she felt so bad because she had a blast with daddy until that point. They had an outing and went to Menards, Savers, then Costco. She was so thrilled that it was just them, she even asked me "just me mommy?" and got her excited look when I said yes, just you and not mommy and Jacob. Katie came home with four new toys and just had a really fun time alone with daddy.

No comments: